Space for Rent. NO REALLY - OK. Not really. »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Help, I have seem to lost hare!

I had a couple hours on 12/23/08 to go hunting before I had to pick up my youngest and get to work. Being the first time I had been able to go out since the wind pushed the snow. I went to a place where I hunted with Magellan. I doubted it at first when I heard it but the past couple hunting ventures (where conditions were right) have proven to me that rabbit numbers are significantly down. We are still getting bumps, but the opportunities are few and far between. On this trip I went to a ditch off the last active railroad tracks in my city. I can remember taking a couple rabbits in here (and can check my journal on exact numbers), but this day we only got one rabbit going which hit a warren in after about 20 feet. Percy was right on it. I ended up hunting for two hours with only about one more possible dive attempt (I was too far away to see). Today after a couple of fresh inches of snow the wind started blowing, so I was unable to hunt.

On another note I would love to introduce my rat/Jack Russell Terrier "Clyde" to hunting as he would improve odds greatly. Only issue is he is aweful "headstrong" (read: stubborn). I am sure if he overstepped his boundaries Percy would give him a "hand" (read: talon) to help him remember. In the meantime I took the attached video calling him to the lure. Please excuse the dark setting (it was 10:50 AM). The iris setting got "adjusted" by one of my children. Enjoy!