Space for Rent. NO REALLY - OK. Not really. »

Monday, November 24, 2008

Update November 24, 2008

Percy

(Note: Not diseased feet. I cleaned them and applied some Vasoline to them and under the jesses.)

Percy the red tail is coming along nicely. Today it was jumping to the glove. We took more tidbits last night and tonight we walked before progressing right into jumping. Some "skylarking" with distractions, but otherwise a good training session. Giant hood construction is complete. It's not pretty, but functional (hey, I am not a carpenter). I would expect to ease into creance in the garage tomorrow.

In general observations this bird is not as "fleet as foot" as Magellan was. Too often I have to replace the glove to get it to step up on a perch and its' footwork is just so... uncoordinated and heavy footed. I am certainly hoping that will not transfer into the woods when we start hunting. Hooding is not too problematic. I do the modified Ronald Steven's method with the Reagan Twist sewn in.




Tootsie (or Ernie)

Tootsie (Ernie, Chewbacca, or Bob)... This bird has more nicknames. This lil' firecracker is progressing well. We did creance with a 7 year old boy distraction tonight. I have introduced her to the lure and she has responded in spades. Tonight I put the glove in all sorts of places and called her to it. Through stairs, on my boy's head, high perches, low perches, etc. After she takes the lure I walk around and over her giving her the feeding whistle to get her to dive in and not worry about me. A point of concern is her first inclination is to attempt to carry the lure before she gets the whistle to look for food. I can make in and out several times on the lure. Therefore, note to self: she will need and get a bag or two before anything serious develops. I would imagine a couple creance flights outside (to the truck, even) and some more high perch call backs before I "bag" her and then field her.