Space for Rent. NO REALLY - OK. Not really. »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

*$%@($%@# (Translated for G Rating)

Over a week has passed since my last post. My other nephew and I went to Cedar Rapids after talking with my former sponsor and sure enough - there were immature redtails down there. Unfortunately, we didn't catch any. Our first bird was spotted on a controlled access 4 lane highway - which means - no shooting the median (CURSES!). We put the BC out in the place that allowed us the least turn around time, but a nearby haggard prevented the immature redtails wasn't interested. As it turned out we had another opportunity but I fell prey to the "ramminess" (rambuntiousness) of my nephews cries of "it's caught" only to bump it off and then proceed with every automobile in a 500 mile radius driving on the road where I am trying to trap.

My nephew decided we needed to militarize our trapping plans. He decided to call the harnessed pigeon "Hank the paratrooper" and the BC pigeon "Frank or Something the Heavy Tank Driver" and would proceed to provide a play by play of the thoughts of the pigeons throughout the day. The irony came when one of them "left a deposit" on his lap. We ended the day earlier than what I wanted to on a sharpie. He did go after the HP but didn't get caught.

I find myself rethinking my off season preparation and harking back to my apprenticeship days. I had several traps (which were destroyed by the fire) that I tweaked to be VERY effective. I think I was more meticulous in my preparations than I have been. Therefore I hope there is enough time to rededicate myself to paying attention to the details to catch a bird this season.

Thursday is Friday for me so my nephews and I will snag a few more pigeons for the "ranks" while I modify (hopefully improve) my trapping contraptions.

In the mean time a kestrel is sounding more and more appealing. I still have a few minor details to attend to on the mews, but any newly caught hawk would not see that for at least a month. Whereas a kestrel would be inside as per Mullinex and the fact that it is common sense.